Sunday, February 13, 2011

Developments!

Well, I had my first example of a MAN asking me where I got my necklace...especially special, since he actually asked me for a link to my site. I really need to be more aggressive, to be honest, when he said he liked my necklace I just thanked him, and didn't tell him I had made it until he actually asked where I had gotten it. I feel strange tooting my own horn to people I don't know. I wonder why he asked, actually, but tomorrow is Valentine's day, so that might explain it.

I've been reading a blog by a guy named Zach Wienersmith (fantastic name), who is a successful webcomic artist. He's also pretty much the person he wants to be - spends all his time reading, thinking and making comics, because he wanted it that way. And his blog has a lot of good advice on it. Mainly, what I took away from reading the archives was "if you really want something, you have to be willing to suffer for it. If you're not willing to suffer for it, you don't want it as much as you think you do."
I'm taking this to heart. I need to be MORE willing to suffer for my craft and my business, spend more time on it, do more of the gross stuff like sealing cranes...my business will get bigger if I just work on it more, and if I want it to take off, that's what I have to do. If you asked me if I wanted it to take off, I would say yes...but if I'm not willing to suffer for it, how much do I really want it? We'll see.

I also learned lately that if you plan to do something, it's better not to tell people about it. They give you the fulfillment that you're looking for by saying "oh, that's cool" and then you don't feel like you need to do it anymore...you get the same level of fulfillment with much less work. Therefore, I'm not going to make lists of things I need to do anymore...I don't even do them until I would have done them anyway. Goodness knows what I'm going to blog about if it won't be wild predictions of how much more awesome I'm going to be in the near future, but I guess we'll find out.

And as to that, I'm struggling right now with finding a place to take good pictures. Historically, the ONLY good pictures I've been able to take have been at my boyfriend's parents house, on the back step. Obviously, I don't go there with any regularity, and I have no place around here to photograph my new (and awesome) stuff. I assure you that I HAVE been having fun with copper! But I have no photographic evidence of it. :( Anyone around Boston know where I can find some simple slate-tiled floors?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for letting me know what you think!