Sunday, April 3, 2011

Another week of Year of Jewelry - Quick Earrings

I'm copying this from my post on the YOJ site:


I was quite determined to not fail the challenge in my second week of YOJ, but I had an immensely busy week and a two-day ballroom competition on the weekend…and right now I ought to be studying for tomorrow’s midterm, so we’ll see how that goes. I apologize for the quality of this picture, it was taken with my camera in horrible light in the middle of the MIT gym…I made these sitting on the floor in my ballroom dress and shoes! I’m proud of that (and of getting this up only one day late…I was proud of myself for being on time until I remembered that the week actually starts on Sunday. Oops.) :] We did reasonably well in the competition, too. My partner’s a good sport.

These are from the same hammered spiral frame, one version big and one small, but I went in completely different directions with them. To one I added a clear red garnet briolette to swing freely, and accented it with pinky garnet chips along the outside…the difference in color is hard to see in this picture. To the other it was rhyolite and carnelian and overlapped the frame…very different color schemes, there.

Sadly, I think I might have to redo them. I didn’t have 20G wire with me, so I made them with 16…not unheard of, but it hurts me to put them in my ears and a lot of people would not be able to wear them. Maybe I can avoid having to redo the whole thing if I take the hooks and shrink them into little loops and attach them to normal, thinner hooks. What do you think?

P.S. “Call the Law” by Outkast is a great quickstep song…for the first 2 minutes and ten seconds, anyway. My whole team loves that song now.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for letting me know what you think!