Friday, April 15, 2011

Something awesome for YOJ

This week's theme was "double-duty" - I hadn't really had any intention of following the themes, but this one piqued my interest. So I made a pair of bracelets that transform into a necklace.
The pictures are terrible...the copper looks like brass in them...but in person, it's very coppery and lovely and warm. Sigh!

You see, I made one big chunky bracelet out of fire agate, and one light and delicate one from handmade copper chain and carnelian. I made two different sets of toggles...one fancy clasp and one simple clasp. Then I put one fancy and one simple half on each bracelet so that they could be closed; the fancy one on the light chain is the whole point of the bracelet, being the biggest and only notable thing on it, while the fancy toggle bar on the chunky bracelet just goes with it and adds a touch of fanta carnelian to its fire-agatey glory. But when you match up the halves, fancy bar with fancy loop and simple with simple, they make a necklace with two neat clasps to transition between sections. And the delicate part of the necklace can go behind your neck where it won't bug you, and the chunky part can go in front where it was always meant to be. Lovely!

My pictures are terrible and taken with terrible lighting against a terrible background, but please bear with me.

I'm rather proud of these pieces.

However, the bracelets are very long and tend to fall off (though some bracelets are just designed that way), so I may do some reworking, taking out either a bunch of the smaller findings or a whole section. We'll see, I haven't decided yet...but right now the length is about right for a necklace, so I can't make them THAT much shorter. Regardless of the length, I'm happy with my work, here. I got bruises on my hands, though. Gotta toughen up.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for letting me know what you think!